The Citrix Receiver is a program that the user can use to access their workstation remotely. The Linux Client lets Ubuntu users connect through Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP)s, share files, and run Windows applications.
The “install citrix receiver ubuntu” is a step-by-step guide on how to install the Citrix Receiver Ubuntu client. It includes screenshots of the installation process and links to helpful resources.
Have you ever attempted to use Citrix apps on an Ubuntu computer? Is it even possible? Yes! For Linux Ubuntu, Citrix offers the Workspace application (formerly known as the Citrix Receiver Ubuntu client), which allows you to access Citrix resources.
In this video, you’ll learn how to install the Citrix Workspace program and use it to access Citrix apps directly or via a web browser.
Let’s get going!
This will be an interactive presentation. If you want to follow along, make sure you have these items:
- A Citrix site that is completely setup and connected to Active Directory — To connect to the Citrix environment, this tutorial uses a local environment accessible at https://storefront.homelab.local. Your Citrix site might be at a different address.
- Ubuntu 18.04 or later on a Linux PC — This guide is based on Ubuntu 20.04.3 LTS.
- An Active Directory (AD) user account called user01 is used in this tutorial to access Citrix apps.
Install, Configure, and Troubleshoot Citrix Workspace on Your Mac
Citrix Workspace App Download and Installation
Citrix Receiver was the name given to software developed by Citrix to access Citrix applications. Citrix Receiver was renamed Citrix Workspace in later versions, and additional functionality were introduced.
Download and install the Citrix Workspace application on your PC before accessing Citrix apps on a Citrix site.
1. Go to the Citrix Downloads page in your preferred browser.
2. Go to the Available Downloads section and choose Debian Packages Full Packages (Self-Service Support) from the drop-down menu.
3. Click the Download file button in the Citrix Workspace app for Linux (x86 64) section. You may then download the Citrix Workspace deb file to your computer.
If you have a 32-bit OS, go to the Citrix Workspace app for Linux (x86) section and click the Download file button instead.
Installing the Citrix Workspace application on Linux (64-bit)
4. Now open your terminal and type the lines below to browse to the location where the Citrix Workspace software was downloaded and install it. If you are not operating as the root user, enter your sudo password and press enter to install the Citrix Workspace program on your PC.
Citrix repairs any recognized faults and adds new features in new releases, so make sure you’re running the current version of the software when you perform the instructions below.
# Change to the Downloads/ directory where the Citrix Workspace application was downloaded using cd. # Use sudo dpkg -i icaclient 184.108.40.206 amd64.deb to install the Citrix Workspace app.
5. In the pop-up box, choose yes or no for the app protection option shown below, depending on your Citrix site’s setup. Citrix Workspace safeguards your data from keylogging and screenshot capture using app protection rules.
Select no for this lesson since the Citrix site does not have keylogging or screenshot capturing tools enabled. Hit the space bar after selecting Ok.
Yes installs the files required for keylogging and screenshot capture, which Citrix administrators may activate or stop as needed in the future.
App Protection Component Installation Verified
The finished Citrix Workspace app installation is shown below.
Citrix Workspace app installation
Related: The Best Free Windows Remote Desktop Connection Managers
Using a Web Browser to Access Citrix Applications
You can access Citrix apps and desktops in a variety of ways, but for now, concentrate on using a web browser to access Citrix applications.
1. Open your web browser and go to the Citrix URL for your firm. To access the Citrix apps in this tutorial, go to https://storefront.homelab.local. To begin the Citrix Receiver software identification procedure, click the Detect Receiver button.
The Detect Receiver option is shown.
2. Check the Always allow Citrix URL to open receiver links box in the popup window to guarantee that all Citrix resources launch the application you choose without prompting. To choose the default application to use when visiting all Citrix URLs in the future, click Choose Application.
Allowing the Citrix Site to Access the Receiver Link
3. Check the option that reads Always use this program to open receiver links and choose Citrix Workspace Launcher from the list below. As a consequence, the Citrix Workspace Launcher identifies whether Citrix Workspace is installed on your PC each time you enter a Citrix URL.
To access the https://storefront.homelab.local URL in your browser, click Open Link.
Opening Receiver Links with the Default Application
Click the Already installed link, as shown below, if the browser does not start the Workspace app detection.
Ensure that the Citrix Workspace App is already installed.
4. Log in to the Workspace app when the Workspace app identification is complete, as seen below. Click Log On after entering your Active Directory credentials, in this case homelabuser01.
Getting to the Citrix Site
5. Click the APPS menu item in the Citrix Workspace app to view all accessible apps and desktops. User01 has access to four Citrix apps in the example below.
Citrix Applications That Are Available
6. Select an application to run it, such as the Calculator in this case.
If you see a popup like this, make sure you choose Citrix Workspace Engine. Select the option to do this automatically for similar files from now on and click OK. By default, your browser will launch Citrix apps using Citrix Workspace Engine.
To launch Citrix applications, choose Default Application.
7. Finally, accept the end-user licensing agreement (EULA) by clicking Accept, and the Citrix program (Calculator) will launch.
When you launch a Citrix application for the first time, you must accept the EULA.
End User License Agreement Acceptance
Using the Citrix Workspace App to access Citrix Apps
So far, you’ve seen how to run Citrix apps from a web browser. But first, learn how to use the Citrix Workspace application to directly access Citrix apps.
1. Search for Workspace on your Ubuntu PC and choose the Citrix Workspace program.
The Citrix Workspace application is accessed.
2. Enter your Citrix URL in the pop-up box and click Add. The URL for this lesson is http://storefront.homelab.local.
If you get an SSL problem while trying to input your company’s Citrix URL, follow the instructions outlined in the KnowCitrix.com page.
Adding the Citrix Workspace application’s Citrix URL.
3. Now, click Log On and provide your Active Directory username and password.
Using the Citrix Workspace application to log in.
You’ll see all the apps and desktops you have access to, just as when you visit Citrix Workspace using a web browser, as seen below.
After login into Citrix URL, apps are shown.
The Citrix Workspace App is uninstalled.
If the Citrix Workspace app doesn’t serve a purpose anymore, just uninstall it from your PC. The Citrix Workspace App is uninstalled. is the same as uninstalling any other software on Ubuntu PC.
To delete icaclient (Citrix Workspace) from your PC, use the following command in your terminal. When you execute the command with the -y parameter, it will automatically accept any prompts. When asked, enter your admin password to continue with the command.
icaclient -y sudo apt-get uninstall
You may wish to get rid of any residual files as well as the Citrix Workspace software. If this is the case, replace remove with purge, as follows: sudo apt-get purge icaclient -y
You learnt how to install and run Citrix apps using a web browser and the Citrix Workspace Ubuntu client (formerly the Citrix Receiver Ubuntu client) directly in this lesson.
Would you want to access your Citrix resources using a web browser or the Citrix Workspace app?
The “citrix workspace linux” is a tool that allows you to connect to a Citrix server. The tool is available for Linux, and can be installed using the Ubuntu package manager.
- install citrix receiver ubuntu command line
- citrix workspace
- uninstall citrix workspace ubuntu
- icaclient ubuntu
- citrix receiver for linux